Now electronic money transfers and online payments are becoming almost the most popular way to pay for goods and services. This is actively used by fraudsters on the Internet: the number of victims is growing every day. To keep their customers safe, many banks and payment systems use a variety of protective mechanisms.
What are banks and payment systems doing?
Organizations employ multiple levels of card security to prevent illegal use of customer data. Now payment by credit card is:
- obligatory introduction of the secret code CVC2 / CVV2, located on the back of the card;
- indication of the card expiration;
- special electronic cards issued specifically for payments in the global network;
- one-time passwords, confirming the transaction, received via SMS (when connecting to the “Mobile Bank” service or linking the number to an account in the payment system);
- the use of a virtual keyboard, which is reliable protection against reading keystrokes;
- confidentiality of passwords (clients choose their own card password. Even bank employees do not know it).
By the way, now the money stored on the card is protected much more reliably than the material funds in the wallet.
Safety rules for you
Be aware: no payment system or bank can guarantee you 100% safety of your funds if you yourself are negligent in their protection. Now payment by card is not only a popular but also a risky way to transfer money to a seller.
Follow simple instructions:
- Regularly check the device from which payments are made (phone or PC) for viruses;
- Use antivirus programs that have the “secure payment” function;
- Do not save your card details in your browser;
- Clean your browsing history on a regular basis (preferably, clean cache as well);
- Never connect to a public Wi-Fi network to make a translation;
- Activate the “Mobile Bank” service;
- Pay only using secure connections (site address must start with https //);
- Enter the page address manually or use bookmarks;
- Don’t click on questionable links;
- Never give unauthorized people the card number, its pin-code and other data;
- If you have suspicions that the data on your card fell into the hands of fraudsters, you can always block it and order a reissue, and if you still have an illegal write-off of money, then you can use the chargeback service.
Simple precautions will help you save your funds by protecting your card from the attacks of online fraudsters!